19 Mar 2008

An Experiment In Blogging

Posting will be noticeably lighter over the next four days as I take an Easter break.

You might have noticed that I have been blogging like a mad fool the past week or so: think of it as a bit of an experiment. It seems to me there are a finite number of blog readers in Australia today, and I'm just testing the market for a blog with this kind of "Running Commentary".

It's been interesting to see how the stats have climbed (slowly but steadily) as I kept the posts coming hard and fast. I'm even getting comments from more than one person now! But in order to sustain a blog like this I would really need a few thousand visitors a day, rather than a few hundred. I would also need to work full-time at it, which I cannot do at the moment for purely financial reasons.

If I were going to push ahead with this "experiment" I would probably need to revamp the site, be a bit more techno-savvy with news feeds and so forth, and get some paid advertising going. I would also need to seek out a wider audience, probably including people who do not even read blogs at the moment.

It's a nice dream, and I think there is potential to achieve it. But I don't know if I'll be the one to do it. I also think Ozblogistan needs a community blog where anyone can create their own "diary" and interact with other "diarists". Again, I don't know if I'll be the one to implement that. I am also hoping to spend more time on writing a book, which might sounds a lot easier but is not necessarily quite so simple!

So I will take a little break and have a think about it. Let me know if you have any useful ideas or thoughts. Till then, a happy and peaceful Easter to one and all!